Pirkei Avot Playlist

My class and I had to make a playlist of songs related to Pirkei Avot Ch. 2 in the Mishnah. Here is what I wrote, enjoy!

Verse: “Be careful with the government, for they befriend a person only for their own needs. They appear to be friends when it is beneficial to them, but they do not stand by a person during his distress“ (Avot 2:3). 

I have already learned that if the government is calling for something to be done, we are paying for it. And the government imposes taxes on almost everything we do. So I would hardly call the government a friend. We can learn that the government cannot be trusted and that you should not fall for what they do.

Song: Industrial Disease (Dire Straits)

Lyric: “Yeah, now the work force is disgusted, downs tools, walks

Innocence is injured, experience just talks

Everyone seeks damages, everyone agrees that

These are classic symptoms of a monetary squeeze

On ITV and BBC they talk about the curse

Philosophy is useless, theology is worse

History boils over, there’s an economics freeze

Sociologists invent words that mean “industrial disease”” (Dire Straits)

I selected the song “Industrial Disease” by Dire Straits because it explains how the government takes your money in the form of taxes, as well as how the government betrays everyone. In Pirkei Avot 2:3, the verse tells us that the government cannot be trusted because of their actions. The lyrics of the song “Industrial Disease” say: “These are classic symptoms of a monetary squeeze. On ITV and BBC they talk about the curse. Philosophy is useless, theology is worse. History boils over, there’s an economics freeze. Sociologists invent words that mean “industrial disease”.” This means that the government takes money from people as taxes to use for national projects in the form of a monetary squeeze. We can learn to never completely trust the government, no matter what they say. And I, myself, am learning more about verifying what the government says

Link to Song: Dire Straits – Industrial Disease (1982) – YouTube

Verse: “Do not say something that is not readily understood in the belief that it will ultimately be understood.“ (Avot 2:4). 

I speak to others sometimes without context and see that people may stare misunderstanding. This verse inspires me to improve the clarity of my speech.

Song: Forever Loving Jah (Bob Marley & The Wailers)

Lyric: “Some they say see them walking up the street

They say we’re going wrong to all the people we meet

But a we won’t worry, we won’t shed no tears

We found a way to cast away the fears, forever, yeah!” (Marley & The Wailers)

I selected the song “Forever Loving Jah” by Bob Marley and The Wailers because it explains how no matter what you say, it should be understandable. In Pirkei Avot 2:4, the verse tells us that you should not say words without context. The lyrics of the song “Forever Loving Jah” say: “Some they say see them walking up the street. They say we’re going wrong to all the people we meet. But a we won’t worry, we won’t shed no tears. We found a way to cast away the fears, forever, yeah!” This means that no matter what we say, things can be understood in the wrong way. We can learn that we should always think before we act, especially in what we say. As I am getting older, I am learning that words can hurt more than actions.

Link to Song: Bob Marley – Forever loving Jah – YouTube

Verse: “He would also say: … one who increases possessions, increases worry;“ (Avot 2:7). 

I see around me quite a few people who have much more than what my family does. But this does not necessarily make them happier than us who live fairly modest and simple. Money and property are not everything but love and respect for each other certainly are.

Song: “Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots of Money)” (Pet Shop Boys)

Lyric: “All the love that we had

And the love that we hide

Who will bury us

When we die?” (Pet Shop Boys)

I selected the song “Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots of Money)” by Pet Shop Boys because it explains that having property, knowledge, and business success is not necessarily making one happy. In Pirkei Avot 2:7, the verse tells us that the more possessions someone obtains, people will be intimidated by them. The lyrics of the song “Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots of Money)” say: “All the love that we had. And the love that we hide. Who will bury us. When we die?” This means that a true partnership is more than just money or business interest. We can learn that we should not look only for possessions, but for meaningful relationships that will diminish the worry that we may have if we only care about wealth and property.

Link to Song: Pet Shop Boys – Opportunities – YouTube

Verse: “Rabbi Eliezer would say: The honour of your fellow should be as precious to you as your own, and do not be easy to anger.“ (Avot 2:10). 

This teaches me to make sure people around me maintain their integrity. And my Dad says that we should also expect more from ourselves than from others, in the spirit of not being easy to anger.

Song: “Hey Brother” (Avicii)

Lyric: “What if I’m far from home?

Oh brother, I will hear you call

What if I lose it all?

Oh sister, I will help you out

Oh, if the sky comes falling down

For you

There’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do” (Avicii)

I selected the song “Hey Brother” by Avicii because it explains how you must maintain other people’s integrity and their standing. In Pirkei Avot 2:10, the verse tells us that you should respect the honour of your friend, and value them as a person. The lyrics of the song “Hey Brother” say: “What if I’m far from home? Oh brother, I will hear you call. What if I lose it all? Oh sister, I will help you out. Oh, if the sky comes falling down. For you. There’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do.” This means that we should always help others, especially our family. We can learn that we should always help other people keep their standing, as well as their integrity.

Link to Song: Avicii – Hey Brother – YouTube

Verse: “Rabbi Elazar would say: Be diligent in the study of Torah. Know what to answer a heretic. And know before whom you toil, and who is your employer who will repay you the reward of your labors.“ (Avot 2:14). 

This verse teaches respect and diligence in any work being done, something that our society seems to value less than before. I live in an old house that is constantly being worked on and not all trades follow this verse, only half-doing their job.

Song: “Livin’ on a Prayer” (Bon Jovi)

“She says, “We’ve gotta hold on to what we’ve got

It doesn’t make a difference if we make it or not

We got each other, and that’s a lot for love

We’ll give it a shot”” (Bon Jovi)

I selected the song “Livin’ on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi because it explains how you must be respectful and diligent in society. In Pirkei Avot 2:14, the verse tells us that you should have respect and diligence for the Torah, as well as the society and the role you play in it. The lyrics of the song “Livin’ on a Prayer” say: “She says, “We’ve gotta hold on to what we’ve got. It doesn’t make a difference if we make it or not. We got each other, and that’s a lot for love. We’ll give it a shot”” This means that we should always try to do our best in life, and society. We can learn that we should always make sure to be respectful of what we have in life, and stay dedicated to our goals.

Link to Song: Bon Jovi – Livin’ On A Prayer – YouTube

Verse: “He would also say: It is not incumbent upon you to finish the task, but neither are you free to absolve yourself from it.“ (Avot 2:14). 

This is a teaching of common responsibility. We should not be doing our duty and performing good work only because we fear punishment. We should behave responsibly because this is something we should feel inside.

Song: “Last in Line” (Dio)

“We’ll know for the first time

If we’re evil or divine” (Dio)

I selected the song “Last in Line” by Dio because it explains how you must be respectful and have common judgement of yourself and others in society. In Pirkei Avot 2:16, the verse tells us that you should have respect and diligence for the Torah, as well as society. The lyrics of the song “Last in Line” say: “We’ll know for the first time. If we’re evil or divine.” The song is about showing our true selves when a real test comes in our life. This is when we are “the last in line” and then “We’ll know for the first time. If we’re evil or divine.” The meaning I see is that we should always be respectful, have fair judgment and perform our duties diligently. So, when this “first time” comes, we would be at least sure to have done everything to remain divine and not evil. Such attitude is not “incumbent” (which I understand as not “imposed”) but something we choose to have as an attitude. 

Link to Song: The Last In Line – YouTube

0 comments